Facing a Maryland Assault Case? A Veteran Defense Attorney Can Successfully Confront the Charge
If you have been charged with assault, you need a serious attorney who can fight to get you the best outcome. I have decades of experience protecting clients' innocence throughout the entire Baltimore, MD area. Hire an aggressive lawyer who will do everything to win your case by contacting me today.
What is First Degree Assault?
First-degree assault is a felony charge. A person is guilty of assault in the first degree if he or she causes serious physical injury to another person. "Serious physical injury" includes any injury that:
- Creates a substantial risk of death
- Causes permanent disfigurement
- Causes loss of functionality in any part of the body
- Impairs the function of any part of the body
What is Second Degree Assault?
There are three ways a prosecutor can prove second-degree assault:
- That a person offensively touched another without consent
- That a person placed another in reasonable fear of being touched or harmed without consent
- Or that the perpetrator attempted to offensively touch a person without consent
Bodily harm is not required. Second-degree assault is so easy to prove, it has become the darling of prosecutors and perhaps the most charged and over-charged crime in the state. A conviction carries a penalty of up to 10 years.
There are a lot of people out there with assault convictions. These types of blemishes on a record can prevent you from getting a job or the housing you want. I've handled hundreds of criminal prosecutions throughout the years. Getting in front of a situation and then managing that situation properly can make all the difference. That difference can have lifelong consequences.
Let me put my experience to work on your defense. Call me today to arrange for a free analysis of the charges you face.