Truck Accident Lawyer Baltimore, MD
If you were hurt in a truck crash, you may want to consult a Baltimore, MD truck accident lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages and other losses. A lawyer can help you pursue compensation and protect your legal rights.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Many people are injured in truck accidents in Maryland every year. These accidents can occur due to many different reasons and cause severe injuries. Here are the most common causes of truck accidents.
- Distracted driving. Truck drivers are often on the road for hours at a time, which can get boring. They may do things to distract themselves, such as sending text messages or switching radio stations. Unfortunately, this can take their eyes and attention off the road, increasing the risk of a crash. Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of truck accidents.
- Fatigued driving. Although federal regulations prohibit truck drivers from driving too many hours in a row, not all of them abide by these rules. They may be under a lot of pressure to meet their deadlines and stay longer on the road than they should. Eventually, that can take a toll on drivers. They may get very tired and have trouble focusing on the road ahead.
- Speeding. As mentioned above, some truck drivers feel a lot of pressure to meet tight deadlines. As a Baltimore truck accident lawyer can confirm, some truckers may drive above the speed limit to meet deadlines. Speeding can cause truck drivers to lose control of their vehicles, increasing the risk of an accident.
- Overloading cargo. Truck drivers have to transport various goods from Point A to Point B. Some of them may overload cargo in their trucks, which can cause them to tip over.
- Poor training. Operating a commercial truck is more difficult than driving a regular car. As such, truck drivers must undergo rigorous training before getting behind the wheel. However, some trucking companies may skip on training to save money. If you were hit by a poorly trained truck driver, you may be able to hold the driver and trucking company responsible.
- Drunk driving. The dangers of drinking and driving are well known, but some truck drivers still choose to get behind the wheel intoxicated. They may feel stressed out from driving so much and drink alcohol to unwind. Unfortunately, drinking alcohol can cause you to lose your focus and reduce your judgment, increasing the chances of an accident.
What to Do If You Were in a Truck Accident
If you were involved in a truck accident, seek immediate medical attention, as the accidents often result in serious injuries. Then, discuss your case with a qualified lawyer. He or she will know the true value of your case and help you get the justice you deserve.
Schedule a meeting with a truck accident lawyer from Attorney Eric T. Kirk today.
The Main Job of a Truck Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been involved in a truck accident, it’s important to know the role of a Baltimore, MD truck accident lawyer with regards to your case. Having an experienced attorney on your side can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. With the right legal representation, you can ensure that your rights are protected and that the responsible parties are held accountable. Contact Attorney Eric T. Kirk for help today!
Understanding the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) are a set of laws and regulations promulgated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration that governs the interstate transport of goods in the United States. Some of the major areas that are covered by these regulations include: driver qualification, vehicle inspection and maintenance, accident reporting, and hours of service limits for drivers. These regulations are designed to ensure that commercial trucks and drivers meet safety requirements when traveling on public highways. It is important for a lawyer to have a thorough understanding of these laws so that they can properly evaluate any potential claims involving a truck accident.
Investigating the Accident
When an accident involving a truck occurs, the first step is to investigate the cause of the crash. Lawyers are responsible for gathering evidence to determine what happened and who was at fault. This process begins with reviewing the police report, which contains information about the accident, including any charges filed. An attorney will also interview witnesses, inspect the vehicle and review video evidence from nearby cameras or surveillance footage.
The lawyer will also look at medical records, physical therapy bills, and other expenses that resulted from the accident. All of these documents can be used to demonstrate the severity of the injury and argue for a larger compensation amount. In addition, a Baltimore truck accident lawyer may look into the trucking company’s record and safety protocols. If the trucking company was not following the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations or was not properly maintaining its vehicles, then this could have contributed to the accident.
During this phase, the lawyer will be working on behalf of the victim to secure the highest possible settlement or jury award. This process involves discussing the victim’s legal rights and issues related to damages with the other party or their insurance company. The negotiation process typically starts by submitting a demand letter to the opposing party. This document outlines the victim’s injuries, medical bills, property damage, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other damages that have been sustained due to the truck accident. The opposing party will then provide a counteroffer, which may be accepted or rejected by the victim’s attorney. If negotiations fail to resolve the case, it may proceed to a court trial.
Settling or Court
Once the evidence has been gathered and analyzed, and negotiations have taken place, your lawyer may determine that the best course of action is to settle the case out of court. This could involve a settlement agreement between the trucking company and the victim, which might include a payment to cover medical costs, lost wages, and other damages. If the parties are unable to agree on a settlement, then your attorney will represent you in court.
If you are in need of a Baltimore truck accident lawyer, contact Attorney Eric T. Kirk for help.