Over the course of the last decade, I've published in excess of 700 articles in the areas of personal injury, criminal defense, workers' compensation and insurance disputes, generally. If you can't find what you're looking for, feel free to contact me to discuss the details of your case and learn how I can help.

What Happens If The Other Driver Involved In The Accident Is Not Insured Or Has Minimal Coverage?

Attorney Eric T. Kirk will tell you.

You look to your uninsured or underinsured insurance coverage.



If the other driver, the one that’s judged at fault for causing the accident, does not have insurance, you would look to your own insurance policy for recovery. The coverage that’s implicated here is called uninsured motorist coverage. It’s first party insurance. You pay for it, you pay for the premiums, and it’s one that is implicated in precisely this situation. A driver- at fault doesn’t have insurance, hits you and causes damage. You then recover from your own policy. If that other driver has insurance but not enough to fully compensate you, you would then look to your own underinsured motorist coverage under your policy.

I hope this addressed your question. Over the course of 25 years, I’ve found that fully addressing a legal question is best handled in a one-on-one, in person strategy and case analysis conference. I offer these to potential clients on a complimentary basis. Please use any of the methods under the contact tab at the top of the page to arrange yours.