Over the course of the last decade, I've published in excess of 700 articles in the areas of personal injury, criminal defense, workers' compensation and insurance disputes, generally. If you can't find what you're looking for, feel free to contact me to discuss the details of your case and learn how I can help.

Can I Sue For My Loss if My Child Who Was Hurt In The Accident?

Of course, if a child [an unemancipated minor under 18] is hurt in an accident,  they have a claim of their own against the at fault party for damages.

The parent of the child also has a claim against the at-fault party for the loss of that child’s “services”, as well as for the cost of medical care for the child incurred by the parent.

Can I Sue For My Loss if My Child Who Was Hurt In The Accident?

Unlike a wrongful death claim, the derivative claim of a parent under these circumstances does not include loss of society or companionship. The damage calculation is really more of a strict “economic loss” analysis. One court has noted, ominously, with respect to services “if they can be proven”. As Attorney Eric T. Kirk will tell you. Hudson v. Hudson, 174 A.2d 339. Seasoned Baltimore personal injury lawyers are aware that at common law, a parent was entitled to any earnings their minor child received. Greenwood v. Greenwood 28 Md. 384. What the reasonable value of “services” provided by a minor to his or her parents is often defined or articulated through the creativity of the advocate.

I extend a case review, claim evaluation and legal opinion on a no-cost basis to my clients. Contact me today to arrange a meeting. 410 591 2835.