Over the course of the last decade, I've published in excess of 700 articles in the areas of personal injury, criminal defense, workers' compensation and insurance disputes, generally. If you can't find what you're looking for, feel free to contact me to discuss the details of your case and learn how I can help.

What is a Wrongful Death Claim?

In other guides, what some might call “garden variety” negligence is discussed. Car accidents, slips, falls and the like- where the injuries might be mild to serious, but not life threatening. What if someone’s conduct leads to the death of another?

Baltimore personal injury law provides that where a “wrongful act” [an act, including criminal conduct, neglect, or improper operation of a vessel] causes the death of another, an action against that person may be maintained, and must generally be filed within 3 years.

What is a Wrongful Death Claim?

The action is to be for the benefit of a spouse, child or parent, although not necessarily brought my them. Knowledgeable Baltimore personal injury lawyers Attorney Eric T. Kirk know that if there is not a spouse, child or parent, then the action shall be for the benefit of a blood or marital relative who was dependent on the decedent for support.  Obviously, these are the most serious cases argued in Maryland Courts.

As with standard, or more typical negligence claims, money is a poor substitute for one’s health, but the best one our legal system has been able to offer, and that’s been the case for hundreds of years. This notion is even more poignant when it is financial compensation that is being offered in substitution for the wrongfully shortened life of another. A spouse, child or parent may recover as their damages: monetary loss, mental anguish, emotional pain, loss of society, companionship, comfort, protection, care, attention, advice, counsel, training, and guidance as applicable.

I extend a case review, claim evaluation and legal opinion on a no-cost basis to my clients. Contact me today to arrange a meeting. 410 591 2835.