Over the course of the last decade, I've published in excess of 700 articles in the areas of personal injury, criminal defense, workers' compensation and insurance disputes, generally. If you can't find what you're looking for, feel free to contact me to discuss the details of your case and learn how I can help.

What Happens If I Don’t Pay Restitution?

Experienced Baltimore criminal defense attorneys Attorney Eric T. Kirk may or may not be aware that a person in substantial child support arrears will likely never get a tax refund, or be able to claim a lottery prize.

What Happens If I Don't Pay Restitution?

The child support enforcement program is authorized to “intercept” these funds, and apply them to child support. The same enforcement mechanisms are used against the restitution obligor who has fallen into arrears. Of course, a failure to pay restitution may also constitute a contempt of court, or a violation of probation, either of which can land you in jail.  If restitution is part of your probation conditions, and this is typical, you face all or part of your suspended sentence. In my experience, supervising judge may be reluctant to incarcerate an individual who is at least trying to meet the obligations. An experienced criminal defense attorney may be able to help you marshal the evidence, and present that proof to the court.

If the State has brought charges against you: Call me. 410 591 2835, or fill out the contact template on the page. The most important thing you can do at this point is to act quickly, and effectively, to protect your interests.